Samstag, 2. Februar 2013

Em singin' Kirtan with Dave Stringer


I was scheduled for a workshop named „The inner musican“ with Dave Stringer. Because of missing applause for my flute playing, my carrier as a musician ended already in the mid 80’s. I never missed making music, not at all, there is always a radio close....so my excuse, because I actually must confess, that it is a lot of fun, even just to watch musicians how passionate they play there instruments.

Quite a while ago I trapped myself indulging into kirtan singing. Kirtan means repeating certain sanskrit texts, the persons who leads the kirtan calls and the community responds.

While singing, dynamic is changing, calm in the begining and at the end, flowy and extatic in the middle. One single mantra can be chanted for 10 minutes up to 72 hours. This is probably why dynamic varies, the „bands“ had to change during this long period of time. 

Let me tell you, singing literally frees the throat, not only on a physical layer especially on a way more subtle one. Imagine you are singing with a group of people, no matter if you are "good" at it or not, loud and from the heart, you just do it, and all the sudden you can hear your own voice, you are making some noise, others can hear you to!!! voices melt together and provide a save place without judgment.

Whatsoever. Dave came up with a completely new point of view onto making music and suddenly caught my full attention. What he brought up is, that in the early days, back when music was not comming out of everything and everywhere, people had to make their own music if they wanted to listen to it.

Understandable, I never saw it that way. And of course there were talented ones and even much more talented ones! How beautiful is that thought?


EVERYONE IS A MUSICIAN, so bring it on!!


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen